Sunday, January 22, 2012

Amazing.. two posts in one month

The last couple of weeks have been busy. On Friday, Jeff and I managed to go on our first date in over six months! I have an incredible visiting teacher who was willing to allow me to drop the kids off at her house (instead of having to clean mine for a babysitter..). We picked up a quick dinner and went to the movies (for the first time in over five years!). We saw "The Iron Lady" and we were both very impressed with the movie and enjoyed ourselves! If you haven't seen it, do--it was fantastic; very good acting, and the best part--no political spin that I could detect!

David had his one year physical exam last week (a little late). He's on the small side. He's about 21 lbs 9 oz. but still in the 22nd percentile or so. Maybe he'll be small like Adam--who knows? He definitely has a small head! While we were in the doctor's office, our family doctor highly recommended I get Adam and McKay in for their flu shots (David got his at his exam). So we went in Friday with Adam and McKay who were both very anxious about getting their flu shot. McKay was brave and volunteered to go first. He soon regretted his decision as the nurse swabbed his shoulder. He got really jittery and had trouble looking at me, but as soon as he turned his head toward me, the nurse did it. "OUCH!" McKay squealed, but then it was over. No tears!

Then it was Adam's turn. He saw McKay's anxiety and was just as scared. Adam kept saying that he wanted the shot to go into the skinniest part of him, and the nurse and I kept explaining that you actually wanted it to go into the fattest part of you so you don't hit a bone or something else (maybe that was a bad idea on hindsight..). He also wanted to look and kept saying he didn't want a shot. Mid-sentence (while Adam had his head turned), the nurse got him, and Adam just kept on talking. He didn't even feel it! Both boys were incredibly proud of themselves, and I was also proud of my boys. They aren't babies anymore. What a difference it was between David's shots and then the older boy's reactions to their flu shots. They sat there, didn't have to be held down, and didn't cry. Sure they were scared, but aren't we all? No one likes shots! I just love being their Mom.

Oh, another happening recently was that I cut David's hair. David's hair had become so long it was getting into his eyes, and it simply refused to be combed to the side or back. When food in the hair became a problem, I simply couldn't bear it any longer. It did, however, break my heart to see the beautiful locks of white-blonde hair fall to the floor as my clippers grazed over his head. He looks like a little boy now. He's walking..not full time, but almost. He also likes to play with the TV remote. He'll point it at the TV and turn it off! He also likes to talk on the phone. He got the phone in his hands the other day and said "Uhwoah!" I can tell David is very perceptive. My sister, Emily, visited us a couple of weeks ago. We were playing "Just Dance" (we've got the kids version--fun!!--as well as Just Dance 3 for Wii). Between songs we noticed David sitting on the floor, facing the tv, waving his hands in the air. He wanted to dance too! Absolutely adorable!

Emily's visit was an unexpected treat. I still had to work both nights she was staying at our house, but I was able to pick her up from the airport on her first night. We went to the North End in Boston and had pizza at the original Pizzeria Regina (the supreme style was wonderful!). Then we got cannoli at Mike's Pastry! Those things were huge and tasted amazing. Then I took Emily to her hotel and we watched Alabama win the national championship game. I hope Emily has more work conferences up here in Woburn! It was fantastic to see her, and it made me miss her. We enjoyed breakfast at Harry's diner here in Westborough (really good breakfast special! Love the hot cocoa--David loves the whipped cream..). Then we got to tackle snow on the way to the airport for Emily's early flight home. So worth it though! She knows I'd go through snow for her :)

I don't know if I mentioned that I'm the primary chorister in my ward. It's been going well. It takes a ton of energy, but I can see the payoff almost immediately when I see that the kids are learning and taking in the lessons. I can feel the Spirit and have begun to truly love the children in my ward. The nursery kids are also getting used to me and enjoy singing. It all makes me want to become better!

It's getting late and I need to close this and head to bed. On with another week!


1 comment:

Emily Kim said...

Elisa! I love hearing from you! Those boys are growing up soo fast! And I LOVED seeing you too!